Home    Ambient    Cerulean    MyGarmin

Sunday, October 13, 2019

WAM 110K

Another DNF but such an excellent adventure at Whistler Alpine Meadow. 110K with 21,000' of climb, but I would only make it 80K. The climb up Whistler Mountain was brutal. Steep. And no water on that side. I was finished by the time I had reached the aid station at the peak. But this was not a place to drop. I slept for an hour in the warming hut. The station captain asked if I had it in me to run the 20K to Base 2. I didn't. I was shivering. Nauseous. But left anyway. It was dark, windy, raining. And worst of all I was alone. I had been running for 2 hours since the peak without seeing another soul. If I had to stop for any reason, if I got lost, I figured I'd freeze to death. The saving grace was the trail itself ... soft, easy, wide, a long gradual descent off the mountain that was completely runnable. It seemed to go on forever. But it offered no resistance. In fact it encouraged me. The people who built this trail would have spent years making it so. Maybe decades. Thank you one and all. And thank you Fran. I am so glad you didn't move back to Australia and were there to help me in the end. Grateful.